McClintock Laboratory | Cold Spring Harbor, NY
Built in 1912 as a facility to house animals, McClintock Laboratory has served many scientists including Nobel Prize winners Alfred Hershey and Barbara McClintock and Dr. James Watson, a co-discoverer of the structure of DNA, and President and Director of Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.
This renovation increased the usable floor area of the building by adding offices, a seminar room, and mechanical space in a new third floor addition set back from the parapets of the original building. The sloping copper hip roof with deep overhangs is sympathetic to the Italianate character of the original building. Its deep overhang with razor thin edge reduces the apparent weight of the new addition allowing the roof to float above the historic structure below. The new third floor replaces a random collection of exhaust fans and mechanical equipment which previously covered the flat roof of the building.
The frame of the third floor addition is dark green with green tinted glass which gives the appearance of a shaded canopy while providing expansive views of the nearby harbor. The interior has been completely renovated into state-of-the-art research laboratories with all new mechanical systems, an elevator for complete accessibility, and energy recovery devices.
1996 AIA Long Island Archie Award
1995 AIA Connecticut Merit Award
1995 AIA New England Design Award
1994 Builder’s Choice Award
A project of Centerbrook Architects and Planners
William H. Grover, FAIA, Architect
Nick Deaver, AIA, Project Manager
Photography by Jeff Goldberg/Esto©